The first thing I want to post is my book recommendations. I have read countless books on art and art technique. Here's a few that I can't live without:
• Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting by John F. Carlson.
The definitive guide to painting the landscape. It's brilliant! I read this book once or twice a year and find something new every time.
• Oil Painting Techniques and Materials by Harold Speed
• The Practice of Drawing by Harold Speed.
What you need to know about traditional drawing and painting... a lifetime of info!
• Composition of Outdoor Painting by Edgar A. Payne.
A beautiful book by one of the great California impressionists. Landscape painting taught by a master. (out-of-print for years but re-released at www.derusfinearts.com)
• Hawthorne On Painting by Charles W. Hawthorne.
A wealth of information...
• The Art Spirit by Robert Henri.
• Brackman: His Art and Teaching by Kenneth Bates.
I love this book. So clear, simple and to the point. It may be out-of-print but sometimes can be found at used bookstores or online.
There are also books on color and life drawing that I recommend as well... I will post those at another time.